Thursday, September 21, 2017

Blogger's Quilt Festival Going On Now!!

I've never entered into a Blogger's Quilt Festival before, but I have one quilt in particular that I'd like to enter.  This Bloggers Quilt Festival is going on right now at Amy's Creative Side Blog.  There is no voting on quilts, just a bunch of us that love to quilt, sharing what we have done recently.  Each person can enter two quilts.

There are many sponsors and some great prizes that will be awarded by random generation.  You can read all about it over at Amy's Blog at the link above.  Hop on over and check out the many entries.

My first entry is a quilt that I made for my brother, Bill, who served in the US Navy during Vietnam.  He was on the aircraft carrier, Bon Homme Richard, CVA-31, located in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Here it is:



 As you can see this is a fairly large quilt fitting a queen size bed here but I'm sure it will be a lap quilt.  I chose the Explosion Block on this quilt, one of my favorites to do.  The center block is The Sailor's Creed poem.



 I chose to embroider by my machine a few things in a few of the solid colored blocks.  This one has his name and rank.



This second one has the ship he was on...............


The third says US Navy................


And last, the war he served in...............


I enjoyed doing this quilt so much.  Since my brother no longer lives near me and I didn't get to visit this year, I mailed it to my niece who presented it to him on his birthday, August 30th.  I think he was surprised!!  He had no idea that it was from me until he opened it up and saw the inscription.



Here are a couple photos of him with his Quilt!  


I hope that everyone enjoyed seeing the quilt!  You can visit me at debbiedixieblog.blogspot.com for more of my quilting and weekly activities.

Thanks for visiting!!

16 comments:

  1. A bloggers quilt festival, how fun. That's a really nice looking quilt and what a treasure for your brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous quilt!! I have a son in the navy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your son for his service. I enjoyed making this so much for my brother. He is very proud of his military service and I am proud of him. I had a second brother who was in the Army during Vietnam and he passed a few years ago now.

      Delete
  3. What a special quilt! So precious for your brother and sure to become an heirloom! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, Joy! He looked like he really liked it. I had a lot of fun making it for him.

      Delete
  4. Deb what a beautiful quilt. Thanks to your brother for his service and thanks to you for sharing this quilt with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this post has such a touching story! He sure looks pleased with his quilt. Great job. Perfect pattern and all the other little details that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special gift, I'm sure he will treasure it and enjoy using it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift for your brother! What could be better that a QOV quilt from his very own sister? That was SEW sweet of you to personalize it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt. I take it you do crafts shows also?

    ReplyDelete

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...