Friday, March 26, 2021

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

 Hi Everyone!

It's finally spring and it has certainly felt like it the past week.  It has been gorgeous here.  Temperatures in the 60's and even 70's has made way for being outdoors and in my case reading a book on the deck with Macy by my side.   Also, a few good walks down our country road just listening to the frogs croak and the birds singing.  Funny thing is that when I walk by the frogs they stop croaking and hop into the water puddle.  

I have our Easter decorations up inside and outside. I had made a wreath last year out of bath poofs.  Here's a photo of that you may recall seeing it before.


 


I also put those little plastic eggs on the bushes outside in front of the house.  I walked out there this morning to make sure they weren't scattered all over the place as we are having very high winds today as well as falling temps.  Sad thing is next Wed and Thurs they are showing snowflakes in the forecast.  Not something I want to see.  The lilacs already have some green leaves and beginning to open up a bit.  Oh NO!!!  This actually happened last year, and the blooms were fine.  I'm hoping for the same outcome this year.

Easter is only nine days away.  Early this year for sure, but hoping for some sunshine for that weekend.  

A little Easter quiz for you.  

How is the date of Easter determined?  It's, believe it or not, related to the full moon.  Easter is celebrated on the first Sunday after the paschal full Moon on or just after the vernal equinox.  The equinox is considered March 21 (a fixed spring date set by the Church), although in astronomy, it's not always that day.  The paschal full Moon always falls on the 14th day of a lunar month.

What folklore is associated with Easter?  Eggs!  traditionally forbidden during Lent, symbolize new life.

When dates does Easter always fall between on a Sunday?  March 22 through April 25.

Thanks to the Farmer's Almanac for those little tidbits.

I told you last month that I'd have to get cracking on my new Easter wall hanging for the living room.  I'm happy to say that I had it designed, finished and hung up the day after St. Patty's Day.  Goal met!!

Here is the finished product.



This is made with scrap material I had, used a little more yardage on the deep purple and pink areas.  I decided that using the explosion block style best suited what I wanted to achieve and it saves a lot of time as these sew up quickly.  

I want to zoom in on a block or two so I can explain what I did:



The center of the quilt was the perfect area to put a cross.  I wanted to highlight the Resurrection of Jesus, as this is what Easter is all about.  Bunnies and eggs are secondary to the true meaning of Easter.

The cross was actually appliqued in place.  I used fusible web called "Heat n Bond" to affix the cut out underside of the cross and ironed into place.  I cut out of fabric the little daffodil in the center.  This is called fussy cutting, you can see this better in the photo below of the bunny.  I fussy cut out the bunny and fused it in the same way onto the center of the block.  The egg was just cut out of fabric and appliqued as well.  Once ironed on, I needed to do some sewing around the egg and bunny to hold them into place better.  The edges will fray if not secured and it's hard to do with the fusible web.  So I picked out a stitch on my machine and sewed around the images.  This was my first attempt at applique and stitching in this manner.  I think I did a fairly good job machining it.




So, what's next?  I guess Memorial Day will be the next change for the wall hanging.  Not sure what design I'll do just yet.  I'll share that when it's completed.

Not much else going on here, so I'll end this blog post.  I'll probably think of a million things after finishing this out, but there is always April's post.

I'll leave you with a flashback of 1980.  Easter time on Kelvin St.  Our second home in the City of Pittsburgh, Sheraden.  So happy we moved from there in 1990.

Here I am at age 24, Bryan is 1 year old in this Easter photo.  Love my little man in  his grown-up trench coat and hat!




Wish I could find another one of these bunnies!  

Take care and Happy Easter!  Stay safe and enjoy the Easter week and weekend.

Hugs to all,

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...