Saturday, January 20, 2018

Everyone Warm??????

Hi Everyone,

Wow, have we been having a cold blast here in NW PA!!!  Crazy below zero wind chills most mornings when we awake and usually only in the single digits.  Snow, Snow, and more Snow!  Just last week there was a warm up and Meadville, near Bernie's work, flooded.  I have some pics that we took of what is called French Creek.  It was 2.5' above flood stage.  The cold came back with a vengeance and now we are in the single digits again and it snowed again.  I guess we have about 5' of snow, I quilt measuring!  Too, Too depressing!!

Here are some pics of the ice jams on French Creek.

 You can see the businesses right their on the creek.  Bernie works back in there a bit were the creek bends to the left.

Look at all that ice jammed up on the land, you can see the yellow road sign in the top distance.

Wow!  that was extreme!  Bad thing is that it is supposed to get up into the 40's this weekend and some rain on Sunday.  Will that mean more flooding for this area?  Hope not!!!

Still working at the center.  On my way there now so I'll have to finish this up when I get home later on today.  Until then....................

Well, it is actually Saturday Morning now!!  Never did get back to this, but the sun is shining, but it is cold!  Today, the weather has cooperated and our Christmas Celebration will be happening today! 

At the center the past few weeks we worked on some blocks for the Ventura Quilting Group in CA.  They reached out to all quilters to prepare a certain block in a certain size and then send to them and they will incorporate them into quilts for the fire victims in California who lost their homes and belongings!  We made quite a few, here are a few pics of some. 




 As you can see the left side of the square are dark materials.  It's interesting how many ways you can put these blocks together to get a totally different look.  I think I may be trying one of these in the future for our home. I made this one at home to take to the center to show them what we were looking for and I also made the one below.  You can see the difference in the darks and lights. 

I also did this one above.  The others were done by some of the seniors who I don't believe actually grasped the concept of what was needed, but that's OK, I'm sending them anyway and hopefully they can appreciated the work that these 80 year old's put into their blocks.

I wanted to mention to everyone that I lost a reader to my blog on Dec. 13th.  She called me once just to tell me how much she enjoyed reading my blog and that she even shared it with her brother.  She was our first cousin and her name was Merle.  She lived in eastern PA most of her married life, so I didn't always get to see her, but we talked often.  She was only 73 and never sick a day-in-her life, never in a hospital, until this illness hit her.  When I was 16, she told me that when I got my driver's permit to call her.  The day I got it, I called her and that evening she was at our house with her Mach I, Royal Blue, Mustang, to take me out for the first time to drive.  What a thrill that was for me to drive a sporty looking car for the first time.  I will always remember that day.  I will miss our talks especially about football, and racing.  She will be missed!

So, everyone have a wonderful weekend!  Stay warm and THINK SPRING!!  Praying that that groundhog doesn't see his shadow on Feb. 2nd.

Hugs to you all!!

Debbie

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was there in the snow!! It could be snowy and cold all year round as far as I am concerned :) Love those blocks, they're a unique design xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy, yes, the snow is beautiful, glad it is all gone for now though. Probably will get mire soon!! The blocks are easy to make as long as the person cutting the squares does a good job!!

    ReplyDelete

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...