Monday, April 15, 2019

What a Difference A Day Makes!!!

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my first April blog post.  A little behind schedule, but life is busy as always.  Too much to do and so little time!

The title of this post is so true.  Yesterday we awoke to a temp of 43 degrees and raining.  Next thing we knew we were at 55 degrees on it's way up to 72 degrees and the rain had stopped.  It was just a really nice afternoon until the bottom fell out.  About 6 pm, the sky darkened to the west, which is where all our bad weather comes from generally, that's OH, and not much good comes from that direction in more ways than one!  The wind began to pick up measurably as the trees began to blow really hard and then the tornado siren went off.  I turned on the weather channel to find out that we were in a tornado warning.  None had been seen, but there was some rotation.  After a few minutes of watching the sky from the porch, it began raining.  For some reason I always head to the porch like I really want to see a tornado!  After a few minutes it was time to head to the basement, so with Macy in tow, off we went to the theater room which is the inner most room in the basement.  Turned on the TV and rode out the storm there in our recliners.  We could hear the wind howling, but thankfully nothing materialized and it passed by quickly.  By 7 PM we were already out of the line of thunderstorms that could have produced large hail and tornadoes.  North of us, in Edinboro, and also Conneautville weren't so lucky.  They had large hail, about half-dollar size and several houses were damaged by it.  Vinyl siding, where the hail pummeled it, had large, gaping holes.  Temps fell over night and this morning it was 35 degrees and snowing upon wake up.  We could get an inch of that white stuff today!  Go Away Old Man Winter!!!  Doesn't he know that it's spring!!!

So, hopefully my flowers will make it through today's cold snap.  They are so pretty.
Miniature Daffodils



The picture above is a tree-lined street in Crafton that was taken on Saturday when we visited Bernie's folks.  It was a beautifully, warm spring day there.  Where we live, 2-hours north of Pittsburgh is a different story.  We are about two weeks behind Pittsburgh in reference to the spring season.

What have I been up too!  So much!!
The two fairly nice days we had with so much sun and actual temps in the 60's I spent outdoors.  I cleaned out the leaves from the front bushes, make mental note, next year put up a little fence to keep them buggers out of there!  Bernie had blown out the leave before and they continue to blow in there.  There are so many trees here that even if you chop up the leaves, they come right back!  It looked beautiful after the cleaning, and then this storm came through, and yep! you guessed it, they are all back again today.  I'm surprised that none of my Easter eggs that I put on my bushes came off in the storm, but I bet I'll have to cut them off as they are probably twisted around the branches!

I also had signed up for a three-week course at the local quilt studio in Meadville to learn to do a different technique called One Block Wonders!  This is an interesting concept done two different ways.  One way is using repetitive fabric and the other is by using panels.  What I mean by panels, is a design in fabric.  That you could just cut out, quilt, and hang up as a wall hanging.  I decided to do the panel method.  I purchased 7 panels.  One stays as is, and the other are all layered exactly by pinning a certain area and going through the layers.  Once they are all perfectly together you cut 3-3/8" strips and then cut 60 degree triangles out of it.  Then you take the 6 triangles and you have three ways to make a kaleidoscope in whichever design you like best.  Next you take the panel put it on a design board, just a piece of felt or flannel that you hang on the wall, put your panel where you want it and then begin by putting half-hexagons around it to make a beautiful design.  The fabric sticks on the flannel good enough for you to be able to move things around.  We used the floor at the studio, and I'm trying to find a place to hang this up because it's a whole different perspective when it's hung up just as when you take a photo of it.  This is where I am after week two.  I'm still messing with the design trying different things, then I have to begin sewing the hexies together and have a few of those done before my last class.  Then I will be able to finish it on my own.  Here is how it looks right now.

You can see my panel is the tree between the brown bark and then building looking high-rise.  The rest are all the hexies!  I put a row to the right of the high-rise to frame it in.  I believe I'm going to put the geometric patterned hexies on that side and put the green type hexies to the top to extend the tree and then the bottom will be filled with the darker bark type hexies.  Not sure, just thinking.

I'm still making progress on the Marie Kondo - Tidying up!  I've got drawers done now, and closets looking much better.  Filing cabinet was yesterday's adventure.  All cleaned out now, now onto some other areas!  I also picked up two books from the library on Feng Shui.  I find this concept very interesting and am also am working on this as well in our home.

To say I don't have anything to do now that I'm retired!!  Huh!!  I haven't stopped yet and have no intention on doing so.  I've begun walking my 10,000+ steps a day, weather-permitting of course, so I'm back on track with that as well.

Price is Right is on now, so if you know me, I don't like to miss Drew, so I'll close for now.  I hope that everyone has a very Happy, Blessed Easter!

Hugs,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...