Friday, April 20, 2012

Finally Friday - A Gorgeous One Today!!

Last weekend, I decided to get productive and actually do something that would benefit me all week. All week I don't get home until about 6PM and then I have to plan a meal, cook a meal, do the dishes, and by then it is about 7:30ish, and my evening is basically shot! So, I thought I'd cook a few dishes that I could have ready, so I didn't have much cooking to do during the week. And YES!! It did pay off! I actually had some evening to spend doing what I wanted for a change. So I began by just making some basic rigitoni, I know, I know, it wasn't homemade sauce, but it was fairly quick to throw together and had two bowls, hey, that is one meal and a side for another night!
Then, I remembered something I used to make a while ago, it is a recipe good for at home, or even camping. I'd like to share this one with you today. This makes enough for two people for two different nights. Foil-Wrapped Dinners 1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef round steak 1/2" thick 1 Package (10 oz) frozen green peas 4 medium carrots 4 medium potatoes, pared 1 can (10-1/2 oz) cream of mushroom soup 1 envelope (1-1/2 oz) onion soup mix 8 cherry tomatoes (Only if you want to use them, I don't) Heat oven to 450 degrees, cut the meat into 1" pieces. Place frozen peas in a colander and run cold water over until they are broken apart and drain. Tear off 4 pieces of Heavy-Duty Aluminum foil, each 18x15" On the center of each piece, place 1 carrot, thinly sliced (I use the baby carrots in a bag and just cut them up into little pieces); 1 potato cut into quarters, and 1/4 of the meat.
Stir together mushroom soup and onion soup mix;
Spoon the soup mixture over the meat
And top with peas! You'll have to make sure the peas are on top of the soup mixture. Those little buggers like to roll around. :)
Wrap securely in foil; and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes or until meat is tender. Right before serving, you can add your cherry tomatoes if you decided to use them as a garnish. Here's one nights dinner!
You will have a total of 4 pouches. I freeze them and when we want one or two or if we get company, we have a quick dinner with no prep time. I serve them with brown and serve biscuits, since the soup mixes make a wonderful gravy. You can substitute the fresh carrots with frozen if you wish. These are great for camping too, freeze them and take them with you to cook on a grill. These are great for nights when everyone arrives home at a different time. Bake them as needed, or keep them warm for latecomers. That's it, my post for Friday. I hope you enjoy your weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...