Friday, March 1, 2019

March 1st - Come in like a lion????

Hello Everyone,

As promised, it is March 1st and my blog post is on schedule!  As far as March coming in like a lion, what does that actually mean?

Because March straddles winter and spring in the northern hemisphere, it tends to 
have very harsh, unpleasant  weather in the beginning but typically has milder, more
 palatable weather by the end. The phrase is often rearranged,separated, or otherwise
 slightly reworded.
 A: "I just wanted this awful cold weather to be over!"
 B: "It  shouldn't be much longer now. March always comes in like a lion,
 but it goes out like a lamb."
 March usually goes out like a lamb,but it's been a lion from beginning to end this year!

So, if it is cold, not windy, but sunny, but anything but warm, which is it?  It's a beautiful day here, but too, too cold, so I'm going to say that it's come in as a lion, just so I can say the going out like a lamb will mean warmer, more pleasant weather.

Since last post, I've been up to quite a bit.

Second UFO (Unfinished Object) of 2019 was this table runner that I began just designing after finishing up Bryan and Jess' one.  I had one block made, which I did just to see how it would turn out for theirs, and I just made a few more blocks to finish it out.  These are not my colors at all.  I tend to lean toward the more darker, or neutral rustic prints.  I plan on selling these along with the lamps at a couple craft shows this year, or perhaps in my Etsy store.  I have several design ideas as well as some different, quick projects, that I can do.





I've got all my squares and rectangles cut out and ready for the next set of instructions for the Scrap Dance Minuet Mystery Quilt Along.  I have enough cut out to make two table runners.  Not sure of the design as this is a surprise.











Also, I plan on finishing the queen size quilt that I began, who knows when, for the quest bedroom.  It's called Martin's Pennies and is a Civil War Reproduction Fabric quilt.  I have the top ready and just have to sandwich it with the batting and navy blue backing fabric you see below and get it quilted and finished.  I hope to have this done by April.  We shall see.




Last Sunday was a cloudy, but warmer in the 50's morning, so Bernie and I took a drive down to the Pymatuning Lake Dam in Jamestown PA.  This is only about a 10 minute drive south of us.  We parked and walked around and saw a few fishermen down where the dam overflow is, and we walked to the dam.  It is absolutely beautiful there.  It's like a mid-evil castle built right at the top of the dam with a vehicle bridge right beside it.



The Pymatuning Reservoir was built in 1934 and the dam was the largest project ever tackled in this area.  Appox. 7,000 men worked for $3.15 a day to clear the land and construct the reservoir.  Workers cut and burned anything that would float so debris would not damage the dam's gates.  Two construction crews, working 10-hour shifts, hauled in dirt for the dam.  The job was finished in a short 28 months for about $368,000.  The dam was constructed at a point where the hills converged to form a narrow valley, the earthen dam extends 2,400 feet across the valley with a maximum height of 50 feet where it crosses the old Shenango River Channel.  (This is a beautiful area as well and we'll visit it this spring and blog about it and it's bridge). The core of the dam is made of fine-grained clay, with a row of interlocking steel pilings in the center.  The pilings were driven 12-43 feet to the bedrock.  Heavy sandstone, ranging from 18-36 inches thick and hauled in by train, protects the dam from the pounding waves.  The reservoir and dam have 70 miles of shoreline, and is 16 miles from the point of this dam to the north end of the reservoir.  The deepest area is 35 feet.  The reservoir is 2.2 miles wide and it holds 61 billion gallons of water in the summer.


 This is our Pymatuning Lake!  Such a beautiful thing that we seem to take for granted living here.







 
 




Just think how beautiful it would be to have photo of a wedding party taken there. I'm sure it has been done before. 






















So here we are! 


By the time we were ready to leave, the wind had blown up and we were about carried away and the wind blew in the much colder air and by afternoon we were in the 20's!





The door is all wood with bars and it is so rustic! 

So that is a little bit of our goings on the past few weeks.  As soon as the weather cooperates, we'll get out there for some more trips around Pymatuning to share with you.

Until next time, take care and I'll be dreaming of warmer weather................

Hugs,
Debbie


No comments:

Post a Comment

November 1, We woke up to White Stuff!!!

  Hi Everyone! As promised, I'm on track for my second post of this 2023 and am not a day late. Today is actually a beautiful day outsid...